Selim Hanay received his Ph.D. degree in Physics from Caltech in 2011. Since then he has been working in the Caltech Physics Department first as a post-doctoral research fellow and then as a research scientist. His research has focused on Nano Electromechanical Systems (NEMS), working in the group of Professor Michael Roukes. Together with his team, he has developed NEMS devices capable of detecting and weighing single protein molecules in real time.
His future research will focus on further advancing these nanoscale machines to accomplish unprecedented sensing and characterization modalities for biologic samples at the single-molecule level. These investigations have immense potential in biochemical research (such as proteomics and cancer studies) as well as environmental applications (such as monitoring of air pollution and nanotoxicity). His research results have been highlighted in several media outlets, such as the New York Times, IEEE Spectrum, Scientific American, Discover Magazine and Slashdot.
Selim Hanay attended Sabanci University for undergraduate studies and received degrees in Microelectronics Engineering and Physics. He is a graduate of Ankara Fen Lisesi and is the recipient of Gold Medal in the 31st International Chemistry Olympiads.
Google Scholar Citations
Ph.D., Physics, California Institute of Technology (2011)
B.S., Microelectronics Engineering with minors in Physics, Sabanci University (2003)
Our research group works on cutting edge problems in dynamics to develop sensors. for biomedical and environmental challenges.
Our main thrusts are:
1) Microfluidics-Integrated Microfluidics Sensors (MIMS)
2) Nano-Electromechanical Systems (NEMS) for Sensing
3) Nanoscale Buckling for Information Science and Chaos
4) Optomechanical Sensors
Our research group is supported by an ERC Starting Grant, numerous TUBITAK grants, and the young investigator awards of both Turkish Academy of Sciences and Science Academy, Turkey.
RESEARCH WEB PAGE: https://www.nems.me/
Click here for the Mechatronics Project Competition Web Page.
- Journal Papers:
- R. Tufan Erdogan, Mohammed Alkhaled, Batuhan E. Kaynak, Hashim Alhmoud, Hadi S. Pisheh, Mehmet Kelleci, Ilbey Karakurt, Cenk Yanik, Z. Betul Sen, Burak Sari, Ahmet M. Yagci, Aykut Ozkul, M. Selim Hanay (2022). "Atmospheric Pressure Mass Spectrometry of Single Viruses and Nanoparticles by Nanoelectromechanical Systems",
ACS Nano, v.16(3,) p.38213833, DOI: https://doi.org/10.1021/acsnano.1c08423
- C Ti, AB Ari, MC Karakan, C Yanik, II Kaya, MS Hanay, O Svitelskiy, M Gonzalez, H Seren, KL Ekinci (2021). "Frequency-Dependent Piezoresistive Effect in Top-down Fabricated Gold Nanoresistors",
Nano Letters ,, v.21(15,) p.65336539, DOI: https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.nanolett.1c01733
- AB Ari, MS Hanay, MR Paul, KL Ekinci (2021). "Nanomechanical Measurement of the Brownian Force Noise in a Viscous Liquid",
Nano Letters ,, v.21(1,) p.375381, DOI: https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.nanolett.0c03766
- Y Kilinc, MC Karakan, Y Leblebici, MS Hanay, BE Alaca (2020). "Observation of Coupled Mechanical Resonance Modes within Suspended 3D Nanowire Arrays",
Nanoscale,(12,) p.22042-22048, DOI: DOI https://doi.org/10.1039/D0NR06659A
- E Orhan, M Yuksel, AB Ari, C Yanik, U Hatipoglu, A Yağcı, MS Hanay (2020). "Performance of Nano-Electromechanical Systems as Nanoparticle Position Sensors",
Frontiers in Mechanical Engineering ,(6) p.37, DOI: https://doi.org/10.3389/fmech.2020.00037
- SO Erbil, U Hatipoglu, C Yanik, M Ghavami, AB Ari, M Yuksel, MS Hanay (2020). "Full Electrostatic Control of Nanomechanical Buckling",
Physical Review Letters ,, v.2020(124) p.046101 (Editor's Selection and Highlighted in APS Physics Webpage), DOI: https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevLett.124.046101
- A Demir, MS Hanay (2020). "Fundamental Sensitivity Limitations of Nanomechanical Resonant Sensors due to Thermomechanical Noise",
IEEE Sensors ,, v.20(4) p.1947, Full Text, DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/JSEN.2019.2948681
- M Yuksel, E Orhan, C Yanik, AB Ari, A Demir, MS Hanay (2019). "Nonlinear Nanomechanical Mass Spectrometry at the Single-Nanoparticle Level",
Nano Letters ,, v.19 p.3583-3589, Full Text, DOI: https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.nanolett.9b00546
- AB Ari, CM Karakan, C Yanık, II Kaya, MS Hanay (2018). "Intermodal Coupling as a Probe for Nanomechanical Modes",
Physical Review Applied, v.9(034024), Full Text, DOI: https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevApplied.9.034024
- M Kelleci, H Aydogmus, L Aslanbas, SO Erbil, MS Hanay (2018). "Towards Microwave Imaging of Cells",
Lab on a Chip. ,, v.18(463), Full Text, DOI: 10.1039/C7LC01251A
- JE Sader, MS Hanay, AP Neumann, ML Roukes (2018). "Mass Spectrometry Using Nanomechanical Systems: Beyond the Point-Mass Approximation",
Nano Letters, v.18 p.1608-1614, Full Text, DOI: 10.1021/acs.nanolett.7b04301
- MN Esfahani, Y. Kilinc, Y., MC Karakan, E Orhan, MS Hanay, Y Leblebici, BE Alaca (2018). "Piezoresistive Silicon Nanowire Resonators as Embedded Building Blocks in Thick SOI",
Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering, v.28(045006)
- A Demir and MS Hanay (2018). "Numerical Analysis of Multi-Domain Systems: Coupled Nonlinear PDEs & DAEs with Noise",
IEEE Transactions on CAD, v.37(7)
- T Kouh, MS Hanay, KL Ekinci (2017). "Nanomechanical Motion Transducers for Miniaturized Mechanical Systems",
Micromachines, v.8(4) p.108
- Eric Sage,, Ariel Brenac,, Thomas Alava,, Robert Morel,, Cecilia Dupre,, Selim Hanay,, Michael L. Roukes,, Laurent Duraffourg,, Christophe Masselon,, Sébastien Hentz (2015). "Neutral particle mass spectrometry with nanomechanical systems",
Nature Communications, v.6(6482), Full Text
- Nyffeler, C., Hanay, S., Sacchetto, D., Leblebici, Y. (2015). "Graphene field effect devices operating in differential circuit configuration",
Microelectronic Engineering, Full Text, DOI: https://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S0167931715001252
- Hanay, S., Kelber, S.I., O'Connell, C.D., Mulvaney, P., Sader, J.E., Roukes, M.L. (2015). "Inertial Imaging with Nanomechanical Systems",
Nature Nanotechnology, Full Text, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/doi:10.1038/nnano.2015.32
- Hanay, S., Kelber, S., Naik, A., Chi, D., Hentz, S., Bullard, C., Colinet, E., Duraffourg, L., Roukes, M. (2012). "Single-Protein Nanomechanical Mass Spectrometry in Real Time",
Nature Nanotechnology, v.7 p.602, Full Text
- Naik, A., Hanay, S., Hiebert, W., Feng, X., Roukes, M. (2009). "Towards Single-Molecule Nanomechanical Mass Spectrometry",
Nature Nanotechnology, v.4 p.445, Full Text
- Roukes, M., Hanay, S., Kelber, S., Naik, A.. "Single-Protein Nanomechanical Mass Spectrometry in Real Time (US Patent Application filed on 9 May 2013, CIT-6192-P, 2012)"
- Roukes, M., Naik, A., Hanay, S.. "Single Molecule Mass Spectrometry Enabled by Nanoelectromechanical Systems (NEMS-MS), US Patent # 8,227,747"